DesignTechnology at Tarleton Academy
Tarleton Academy engages students in understanding the visual and practical importance of designing, encouraging them to be creative when identifying design problems and to be innovative in generating their solutions. Through the range of material areas offered here at Tarleton students are given the opportunity to develop the following skills:
• Intervene creatively
• Become autonomous
• Solve problems individually and as part of teams
• Be discerning and discriminative
• Be innovative, and able to identify needs, wants and opportunities
• Produce a range of ideas and products
• Combine practical skills with an understanding of aesthetics, social and environmental issues, function and industrial practices
• Be reflective in evaluating past and present design technology, its uses and effects
• Become highly informed users of manufactured products
Students rotate around the specialist areas of Food, Graphics/Resistant Materials and Textiles, spending one term in each; exploring materials/ingredients and responding creatively to the set briefs in order to produce appropriate practical outcomes.
Students build on and develop an extensive range of both practical and technical skills in the areas of Food, Graphic Products and Resistant Materials. In addition they learn about and apply a range of manufacturing processes, techniques and technologies (including CADCAM) appropriate to the design and make process.
Design & Technology is an enjoyable subject, creates informed consumers and adds breadth, balance and relevance to the curriculum.
Design and Technology leads to careers in Engineering, Manufacturing, Food Science, Marketing, Graphic Design, Product Design, Fashion Design, Architecture, Interior Design, Computer Aided Design, Hospitality and Catering……..
‘Design and Technology is about making things that work well.
Creating these things is hugely exciting: it is an inventive fun activity.’
Sir James Dyson
Industrial designer, inventor and founder of Dyson
Patron of the Design and technology Association